Sunday, January 31, 2010

Bad experience 2 at Casa Simpatico - the email trail

Dear girls and Gonzalo,

Andy Stock who we rented from in Mexico is now having hesitations
regarding the return of our deposit check. He requested that I share
this correspondence with all of you. Sorry for the hassle don't bother
reading this if you don't have time. Your father suggests that if we do
not receive our deposit within one week we publicize on the internet the
fact that he cheated us. Unfortunately although it will be another
bother this is what we are now planning to do. Although we will not get
our money at least we will protect others from falling into this trap.

Andy indicates he no longer remembers saying that he would let us have a
few extra days free he says that it was a mistake. He may not remember
but he did do this when I expressed concern at paying the per diem that
he wanted for the couple days over two weeks. If he had not agreed to
that deal we would definitely not have rented beyond the two weeks but
would have spent a night in Tepic two in Puerto Vallarta. I have a copy
of the two checks I sent (after he lost the first one ) which he cashed
and a hand written note from Andy that reads

"L-Can you find a way to pay $1325 now to help me keep things
straight??? It about as cheap as you will find anywhere- really :)
Enclosed is a map A"

The rental agreement, which I wrote and which Andy refers to, also
clearly states states that our stay would be from the 18th of December
to the 4th of January for the cost of two weeks. After Andy lost the
first check, the checks I sent are for the amount he requested. He
asked for slightly less than the rental agreement which I wrote and all
the money at once. $14 less for the rent and $3.50 less for the deposit
this would be the amount of one day of extra person charge and 25% of
that which is the security deposit. He asked for $14 less but that
seemed fair since he had already lost the first check and I had to deal
with that hassle. I went with his numbers instead of mine. I sent the
checks as requested 1,060 for the rent and 265 for the security deposit.
I am sure you all remember how nervous I was when he asked me to send
the money all at once, after the lost a check, I was afraid the place
might not even exist.

Blah blah blah...... rehashing of old arrangements/agreements is
boring.... and aggravating.!!

Love, Mom



A Stock wrote:
> Ya sure Lucy. I'll have to wait and see
>
> On Mon Jan 11th, 2010 7:09 PM PST Lucy Silverio wrote:
>
>
>> You made an agreement. Now you want to back out. I didn't need to mention about the stupid glasses or the child sized boogie board but I did. It was not intended as "filibuster" but an honest assessment of "damage" you might want to charge for. Waited till the last minute??? I sent the money the first time and you lost the check so I needed to resend it. Because you were traveling you wanted it all at once rather than in the increments mentioned. I really felt that you shouldn't cash the deposit check unless we caused damage which is why I did not fill out the date on the check (which I explained to you.) You cashed the check anyway and now want to keep the deposit.
>>
>> I am sorry you do not want to remember what we agreed to and now call it a mistake. If it a mistake that would be one thing but we talked about it and agreed that we could have the extra days. So if we had stayed for four extra days (which we didn't ) you would still need to return the full deposit.
>>
>> What is relevant is that we had an agreement both verbally and on paper and now you want to take money which you agreed to refund.
>>
>> The deposit check was $265 I had thought I paid 268.50 because that is what it shows on the agreement that I wrote. The rent I paid was $1060 I have a copy of a note that you wrote asking for everything all at once $1325. You came up with those figures not me. I was the one that wrote the form not you. If you want to now charge $14 more for the rent that is fine but I do not like having to harass you about returning the deposit.
>>
>> Karma,
>> Lucy
>>
>>
>> This is not relevant but.....
>>
>> We left before noon on the third and arrived after 8 on the 18th.
>> Dec. 18-25 1 week
>> Dec. 25-Jan 1 1 week
>> Jan 2 8pm 1 day
>> Jan 3 11am 15 hours
>>
>> Total time 2weeks, 1 day, and 15 hours
>>
>>
>> A Stock wrote:
>>
>>> Lucy,
>>>
>>> Please, look at it from my point of view for a moment before you launch and answer this, take another look at the form and see where i miss calculated. Read this and show it to your family and write back later on.
>>>
>>> That I do not remember what I said on om cell phone trying to accommodate your busy schedule. Most folks write and don't expect to have every option open to them all of the time. I have been doing this for a while and many red flags went up during out "deal". But it was too late to go back on it, or I would have. You waited till the last minute to send the money, did not fill out the check totally, was less than is stated on the form. And now depend on what we said in cell phone conversations. I do remember saying to you on the phone that it is high season and I would give you the mid season rate. I do remember about the extra two people for free, but your mom didn't come. I turned down renters while you were in other places. Do you really think that is relevant? Please look at if from anothers point of view. Please discuss this and forward to the others, and if they think I should send you the full deposit I will.
>>> All this about the surf board and broken glass is meant to be a filibuster.
>>>
>>> Andy Stock
>>>
>>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>> *From:* Lucy Silverio
>>> *To:* A Stock
>>> *Sent:* Mon, January 11, 2010 10:30:36 AM
>>> *Subject:* Re: greetings from Michigan
>>>
>>> Dear Andy,
>>>
>>> Gonzalo liked it too, but the payment was not a mistake. Perhaps you forget but I was concerned about how expensive it was going to be and you agreed that the second daughter could come for free and that the extra days over the two week period would be included. So no mistake the deposit was the deposit. We paid the price agreed upon. Anyway we actually left early and spent a night in Puerto Vallarta rather than trying to make it to the plane on time leaving from your house. You do really need to return the deposit as agreed. The deposit was for damages and we did not damage your house.
>>>
>>> We need to stick to the contract.
>>>
>>> Lucy
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> A Stock wrote:
>>>
>>>> dear lucy, thanks, its important that you liked it. Hope Gonzalo is happy too.
>>>> I just located the paper work and it looks like we made a little mistake. With all the confusion of you and I traveling whike we did the deal I didnt catch it. Three people at the mid rate of 425 w four prorated days equals 1362. You payed 1325. Andy
>>>>
>>>> On Sun Jan 10th, 2010 7:19 AM PST Lucy Silverio wrote:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>>> Hi Andy,
>>>>>>
>>>>> We had a wonderful time and would love to go back someday.. beautiful area, you have an idyllic house. Adan and Rose were wonderful helpful people. Our "christmas tree" with shells and two strings red silk flower Christmas lights, was beautiful and looked like something that Frida Kahlo would paint. The people overall were friendly and open hearted. We loved the colors, the fruits, and the vegetables, and made liquados practically every day. We used the clay from the cliffs to make candle holders and burned candles for good luck on New Years Eve. We went to Tepic, Mexcaltitlan, and did several long hikes into the Sierra Madres. We spent time in Santa Cruz, San Blas, and the beach at Playa de las Islitas. We did exercises on the porch in the mornings rinsed the salt from the beach off in the river that goes on the side of the house. The one thing I would change if I could would be the littering and the garbage burning. Antonia had a bad reaction to
>>>>>
> the
>
>>>>> > bugs and still has scabs from them although no one else was bothered nearly as much. Everyone but Luz got scratched up on the rocks. Gonzalo and I both had a day of touristas, which put slight inconveniences on things but we still had a wonderful, wonderful, time. The house was smaller than it had looked in the pictures but the location was exquisitely beautiful. We are very glad that we took the vacation and that we rented your house to stay in.
>>>>>
>>>>>> Adan helped us move the massive chair that seemed to sort of dwarf the living room space out onto the porch but well out of the reach of the rain. The living dining room space was much more usable for us after that. The glass top table crowded our room the same way and we moved it out to the porch and then to the living room to hold the Christmas branch. Antonia ended up sleeping on the couch after a few nights and then on the floor of the bedroom with Luz because she said the pullout part of the bed was for somehow uncomfortable to sleep in, it also made for floor space in their bedroom which they really liked. I left you a huge roll of wire in the shed that we used for hanging shells on the Christmas tree.
>>>>>>
>>>>> We had a wonderful time but I do feel that you should send the deposit back. You can deduct if you want for the boogie board (which I would guess was probably bought by previous renters) and the two drinking glasses but other than that I really feel that you should refund the deposit, and in a way I feel that that amount of "damage" two glasses when there are hard tile floors and some wear on a boogie board can be expected, it is not like we were breaking things or destroyed all the dishware through our carelessness.
>>>>>
>>>>> Best, Lucy
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> A Stock wrote:
>>>>> >>> just back from canada, going to mex on tuesday. Did your husband like it or was he disapointed. I haven't opened the pic yet, but you sound disapointed. A
>>>>>
>>>>>> On Fri Jan 8th, 2010 5:20 AM PST Lucy Silverio wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>> >>>> I kept the paperwork that you sent me ... $268.
>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Are you in Mexico now or SF?
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> A Stock wrote:
>>>>>>> >>>>> hi l
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> I don't know off hand how much it was. Do you?
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> On Thu Jan 7th, 2010 6:24 PM PST Lucy Silverio wrote:
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> >>>>>> Hi Andy,
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> Well as I see it a couple broken glasses sort of would go with the territory. How much are phone calls? I think we made three, none were very long distance. It was very irresponsible of Adan to leave the bikes out for three months. Personally I think you should probably return the whole amount the rent was fairly high and a certain amount of wear/expense I think can be expected when you rent something out. We took good care of things. I would send the whole bit. You could maybe deduct $4 for the two glasses and $10 for the boogie board use... later we discovered that we could rent nicer (more adult sized ones) at Playa de Las Islitas for $3 for as long as we wanted them. The phone calls were short inquiries about rooms in Puerto Vallarta (we ended up spending the night there the day we left) and a message to a number we were told was the lost and found for the waterfall in Cora.
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> Lucy
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> A Stock wrote:
>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>> l
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> How much should i send?
>>>>>>>>>> Adan left the bikes out for 3 months!
>>>>>>>>>> A
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> On Thu Jan 7th, 2010 4:48 PM PST Lucy Silverio wrote:
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>> The only long distance calls I can think of were a couple to Puerto Vallarta and one to Cora to see if our bathing suits showed up at the lost and found after we went to that incredibly beautiful waterfall. Gonzalo brought his i touch which we used with skype to call our parents in the US. I don't think there were any other calls but if I am wrong let me know and I will pay you.
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>> Lucy
>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>> A Stock wrote:
>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>> hi l
>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>> i will get it in the mail. Did anyone use the phone? Muchas Gracias! A
>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>> On Thu Jan 7th, 2010 3:06 PM PST Lucy Silverio wrote:
>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>> Hey Andy!
>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>> I am not sure where you are, but we are back in Michigan. I left you a message on your cell phone. We had a wonderful vacation.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>> Antonia broke two glasses which at first was the only damage that we did that I could remember but we did also use the boogie board that was there and although not perfect to begin with (slightly cracked) was definitely a bit more worn after we used it. Adan and I worked together to fix up the bikes and then he took them to a mechanic and they were all in good shape when we left. Please let me know that you got this and send us back the deposit minus the two glasses and 30% wear on the boogie board.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>> Thank you for renting to us.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>> Best regards,
>>>>>>>>>>>>> Lucy Silverio
>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>> >>> >
>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>
>
>
>

No comments:

Post a Comment